Learn to fly trial in Sydney
Trial introductory flight (TIF)
Have you been thinking about learning to fly but maybe you are not sure about it? A Trial Introductory Flight is the best way to learn the basics of flight as a one-off experience. Think about it as your first flying lesson, to give you a taste of what it’s all about before you decide to do a learn to fly course in Sydney to obtain your first recreational pilot licence.
Fly Now, Pay Later.
Call us: 02 9791 9155
You should know that… No previous experience is required to do a Trial Introductory Flight. Your 60 minutes of flying time count towards a pilot licence in the event you want to enrol in a course after the trial.
How does a TIF work?
- Our Sydney Trial Introductory Flight is divided in 3 parts. First, you will go through a ground briefing with your instructor. In this theory section, you will learn basic aviation theory and the effects of controls.
- After that, you will be ready to jump on one of our dual-controlled aircraft to take off and get real hands-on experience at the controls.
- Lastly, once you land and the adrenaline wears off you will go through a debrief running through your experience and any relevant tips your flight instructor may find relevant to share with you.
- Start-up process – you will learn how to perform pre-flight planning, check-list and get the engine started
- Taxiing – How to move the aircraft from the hangar to the runway you will be using.
- Take-off – You will take off from the assigned runway and climb to the altitude determined during the pre-flight planning.
- Straight and level – learn to feel and identify the different aerodynamic elements when shifting from climb to level flight.
- Enjoy the flight and the views over Sydney!
- Return to Bankstown Aerodrome – you will fly back and learn to fly the circuit according to the aerodrome requirements.
- Joining the circuit and landing the aircraft – your instructor will set up the plane for landing and will demonstrate the controls and technique required to safely land the aircraft.
Minimum requirements to do a TIF
- Previous flying experience is not required.
- There is no minimum legal age, but we generally recommend 12 years old as the minimum.
- Students must understand and speak English to follow instructions.
Trial Flight Duration
- You should allow about 2h for the whole experience
- The ground briefing will take 30-45 minutes
- The flight is 60 minutes long
What's included with your TIF
- Liability insurance.
- All fees included, no extra cost
- Headset hire
- 30-45 minutes of ground briefing learning basic aviation theory, flight safety, cockpit elements and effects of controls at our Sydney flying academy.
- 60 minutes flying a dual-controlled aircraft with a highly-qualified instructor.
- De-brief with instructor after the flight
Trial flight aircraft and prices
- 60-minute TIF on Cessna 150 or 152 – $299
- 60-minute TIF on Cessna 182 – $350
*Please note TIF are for one student + instructor only. One TIF purchase per customer.
Flexible bookings: to change your booking at no extra cost you must give us more than 48h notice. $50 fee applies for late changes or cancellations. If we cannot fly due to bad weather or other circumstances we will reschedule your booking. All flying credit and vouchers are valid for 3 years. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Trial Flight Location
We operate from Bankstown Aerodrome. Our flying school classrooms and hangar are located at 77 Tower Road. We have free parking available on-site.
What's the minimum age to do a trial introductory flight in Sydney?
There is no minimum legal age, however you will need to be able to be strapped to the seat and reach the controls. We normally recommend 12 years old as the minimum age to do a learn to fly trial.
What level of English do I require to do a TIF?
You must be able to understand and speak English fluently in order to follow directions from your flight instructors and have an enjoyable experience.
How long does it take to do a TIF?
You should allow about 2h for the whole experience. 30 to 45 minutes are dedicated to the ground briefing and pre-flight planning. You will be flying over Sydney for 60 minutes, landing back at Bankstown Aerodrome.
Does the TIF count towards a pilot licence?
What planes do you use for the trial introductory flight?
We use dual-controlled aircraft: Cessna 150/152 (2pax) and Cessna 172 (4pax)
What should I bring for to first flying trial?
All training materials and gear are provided by our flight school. Dress for the weather and take into account it will be colder in the air. Bring your contacts or glasses if required and/or your sunnies on clear days.